Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's a lot easier to look glamorous on the net than it is in real life.












So, one of my favourite reads is an Australian small business magazine called 'NETT.'
One article in particular hit close to home this month, with the article beginning like this...

'My eyes ache. My teeth ache. My feet ache. My arms ache. My hair is stuck together with a big fat glob of paint. Or is that fondant icing? Either way it will have to be cut out. My head aches.'

The author mentions, how often boutiques or brick and mortar shops appear so glamorous in movie scenes. All the hard work, wait what hard work? The shops have the perfect paint work, the perfect little studio or office without a care in the world. They have an endless amount of customers and cash that is flowing out of their cash register. You immediately want to start a business or your own...

There is much more to a business which some of us fail to understand. There is the sweat and tears behind what looks like the perfect business. Not to mention the cost. So many people see a business and immediately think the owners are living in a white house a-like set-up. The author also mentions once again... 'Did I mention my head aches?'

While the internet is great for so many things, it is also very fake. Not good for my anxiety. A world where everything is perceived as being perfect. When you are browsing around the internet, you don't normally assume a business is from a home studio or office...

But that is the greatest thing about the internet!

No one needs to know you work in your pajamas or you went to visit IKEA for the day...

In a shop front we and more likely to have a higher standard of professionalism. We have to put on a face and an outfit for the day. It's another world of 'reality.'

That being said, having an online business doesn't mean it's less work than a shop front. Or there is less cost involved. Having a website is just an illusion of what appears to be a perfect world.

And to sum up small online business’s the author in this magazine states, 'The internet maybe fake but the people, customers and the business owners who have made our internet illusion happen are very, very real.'


- Ree ♥

2 comments:

Brandi Hussey said...

It's totally easy to be glamorous online, which is good, because my pajamas aren't that impressive.

JewelRee said...

Hahaha I don't think my PJ's are either! ;)